UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY COMPUTING CENTER
COMPUTING SINCE 1958
The IBM 650 at the University of Kentucky, circa 1960, and the IBM 1410,
The University of Kentucky Computing Center was established in September 1958
with three full-time staff and an IBM 650. The first director was John Hamblen,
followed in 1962 by
The IBM 650 was replaced by an IBM 1401 in 1962, upgraded to an IBM 1410
later that year, and augmented by an IBM 7040 installed in 1964. This was
replaced in 1967 with an IBM System/360 model 50 which included 256 kilobytes
of core memory and six disk drives with a total of 40 megabytes of storage.
Martin Solomon became director in 1967. The model 50 was upgraded to a model
65 in 1969 and memory and disk space added.
The IBM 360 model 50 at the University of Kentucky, circa 1967
The computing resources were greatly expanded in 1975 when an
IBM System/370 model 165 was installed. This machine was about four times
faster than the 360-65 and had more than twice the memory and more and
faster disks. The 370-165 ran VM/370 with most work being done in batch
under OS/MVT running in a virtual machine. Virtually all work was
still submitted on punched cards, but various terminals were coming
into use, including 2741 typewriter terminals and the first 3270
During the 1980s the IBM system was upgraded several times and Prime
systems were added for student use. Microcomputers and networking
began to play an important role.
The 1990s saw further upgrades to the IBM system and increased support for
Macintosh, Windows, and Unix workstations. The large Convex Metasystem and
were added along with the first large tape robot system, the
The last Prime system was retired in 1995.
POP mail was introduced as the campus standard, requiring a POP server system.
The rapid growth of the use of the World-Wide Web required the addition
of servers for that purpose, including specialized web indexing services.